Monday, August 20, 2012

Reading responce

   In Defense of Food was a good book over all, but it was hard to read. I felt like when I read the book I couldn't read it for a long period of time. I had to read it in small sections, because I would start to catch myself thinking of other things. throughout the book there were a few confusing parts, and parts that were hard to read. This book was really written more for adults, so that they buy the food that is better for us to eat, and to stay away from the bad food.  While I was reading, I felt like I was reading a lot of the same thing over and over, because the book was very repetitive about us eating better foods, and more greens than what we are eating today.
      Also, a  lot of what it was trying to keep us away from the bad foods. They are trying to tell us it is the companies fault for us eating it, when it is our choice of what we eat, not theirs.  The companies are making it so that they make money, but we have a choice of what we buy to eat, so we can choose what we want to buy. Another thing is, is that this book was written more for our parents, or almost for another generation, especially, because our parents are usually the ones buying the food, and deciding a lot of what we eat. Then, most of the food that we buy is usually processed, and it's sometimes hard to stay away from that. Over all I felt like it did teach me a lot though, about healthier eating habits.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, I appreciate your points about In Defense of Food. You are right that the audience is not you, exactly, and reading a piece of writing that is written for a different audience can be a little jarring. As you are thinking about organization, consider how to make that point stronger by saying it once and including all the details in one place, rather than including the same point in both paragraphs. I wonder what you mean by "They are trying to tell us it is the companies fault for us eating it, when it is our choice what we eat, not theirs." Are you saying that Pollan is blaming the food processing industry when individuals have control? Isn't he advocating that individuals make more informed choices about what they eat, despite the food offered by industry?

    ReplyDelete